Malware, short for malicious software, is any software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. Source: Wikipedia.
Ways to avoid Malware affecting your machine, network and data:
- Avoid clicking on links in any type of email or webpage unless you are positive it is safe.
- Avoid visiting website of doubtful reputation.
- Never install software without prior approval from your IT department &/or Information Security Officer.
- Don’t use portable media such as USB drives, CD or DVDs without having the IT department verify they are malware free.
- Run current antivirus & anti-malware protection on all systems.
- Ensure the operating system and software has been updated to the most current versions (patched).
Suspect a malware infection? Report it immediately to your Information Security Officerl &/or your IT department – know your company’s policy on malware incident reporting.